Friday, August 23, 2013

Away by Teri Hall


Title: Away

Author: Teri Hall

Book #: 2nd of Trilogy


Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers

Publish Date: September 15th 2011

Pages: 234

Format: Hardcover


Date Read: August 20th 2013

Rating★ / out of 5



Rachel shoved the laser saw into her pocket. She thought about what Ms. Moore had told her, before she had Crossed. That brave people are always scared. That you have to be afraid before you can be brave.

Summary:

After Crossing the Line, the defense system put up by the U.S. government which in the process stranded many citizens on the other side, Rachel is thrown into a world she's only heard stories about. Terrible stories out. She is not quite sure what to expect.

However, her determination to find her father and rescue the family she left behind, fuels her to face decisions and take risks that cause her to come face to face with death. 

Hopefully, it is not too late.

Review:

While I wasn't a big fan of the first book in this series, The Line, I still like the idea behind the story. The whole "defense system gone wrong" was a very unique (as far as I am aware of) concept in Y.A.

Unfortunately, the concept was really the only thing this book had going for it.

__________

The characters are underdeveloped and flat. Rachel is super naive, to the point where I honestly believe she is at least 12 years old. I can't even remember how old she is supposed to be, but that is how she acts. All "wide-eyed", innocent and oblivious, nodding her head about stuff she doesn't fully understand. She tries to step up and take risks but just ends up being collateral damage or getting in the way. If she did actually fight and defend herself, I couldn't remember because there wasn't a large focus on it.

She would ask stupid questions like:
"Does he love you? For saving him?"
'bout this lady's cat like bitch, please, how am I supposed to know? He can't talk.


And, when Pathik tells Rachel that Fisher is interested in her, she goes all:
"No!" Rachel couldn't believe she'd been so oblivious. "I had no idea!"


The rest of the characters were no better. None of them were special, except maybe Indigo (who I kind of admired (view spoiler)) Pathik, while he shows off as being a good guy most of the time, was pathetic to me. Maybe this is trivial, but I still was hung up on how he was so ashamed of holding Rachel's hand that he flung it away. Seriously, what are we, 12? 

Then there's that annoying almost-love-triangle but more so just sexual-tension between Fisher and Pathik over Rachel that served no purpose, especially as far as we are concerned going into the third book, and could really have been eliminated from the story.

The last thing I have to say is about how the POV's would switch mid-chapter and sometimes even mid-paragraph. It was distracting and did not please.

Overall, I still enjoy the concept behind this story, and want to see how it ends. I don't see myself buying this books for my collection, but I would recommend them for post-apocalyptic fans.


On My Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/440222262

No comments:

Post a Comment