Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon


Title: Carrier of the Mark

Author: Leigh Fallon

Book #: 1st of Trilogy


Publisher: HarperTeen

Publish Date: October 4th 2011

Pages: 342

Format: Paperback


Date Read (ThrowbackSeptember  2012

Rating
★★½ / out of 5




Summary:

Megan has lived in America her whole life, but now is being uprooted and shipped to Ireland. Even with this major change, she feels like things are going smoothly: She makes a friend on the first day and even spots a possible future love interest. Little does she know, the dark mysterious boy she has been going after shares a twisted secret that ties into her own past... and her near future.

Review:

I must say what really drew me into this book was the cover and the blurb. This was before I decided that I am absolutely sick of books where one character feels "inexplicably drawn" to another character. From this point on, I declare myself to stray far away from books like that. And I have a good reason to, too.

__________

This book has an elemental powers theme. I went crazy over that idea. I love when people have powers based on the four elements. Why, one of my top-favorite books of all time is the Akasha series by Terra Harmony. 

That was really the only thing I enjoyed about this book, though. I liked seeing Megan, Adam, and his siblings practice with their powers over the elements of fire, earth, water and air. Those scenes where awesome!

But to be honest, I felt like those were the only good parts. All of the other scenes, moments and conversations didn't really stand out and none of what else happened in the book was memorable to the point where I would be thinking about multiple parts of the book in the future. 

The worst part of this book: The insta-love. The book had a really bad case of it. The "I-need-to-barf-out-all-this-sappiness" kind. I mean, that one scene where Megan and Adam meet for the first time, and instantly they are wrapped in each others arms confessing their undying love for each other.

Honestly, if you take the romance part out, what you find is a girl struggling to accept her fate and discovering who she really is and the power she holds- Now, that sounds more like it.

Overall, I would recommend this book to.. anyone who has a stomach for insta-love and loves elemental powers!


On My Goodreads

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/481028708

No comments:

Post a Comment