Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson / Dan Jolley


Title: The Girl Who Owned a City

Author: O.T. Nelson / Dan Jolley

Book #: Standalone



Publisher: Graphic Universe

Publish Date: January 1st 2012

Pages: 126

Format: Paperback


Date ReadSeptember 15th  2013

Rating
 / out of 5



Pick a path you believe is right, and stick to it. That's what mom and dad always said. That's all I'm trying to do. But right or wrong tonight?

I don't regret anything
.

Summary:

My parents are gone, so I'm responsible for my little brother Todd. I have to make sure we stay alive. Many kids are sick or starving, and fierce gangs are stealing and destroying everything they find. Lots of people have given up, but here on Grand Avenue, some of us are surviving. Because of me.

In a world like this, someone have to take charge.
(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)

Review

I read the novel this is based off of in middle school and I don't think I ever really appreciated it. Now, though, I really have to go back and re-read it. If it is anything like this, it will have a very strong, determined, kick-ass protagonist!

The story isn't too fleshed out in this graphic novel, so I can't go into too much depth on the story itself. What story we do get, though, is very good. 

__________

Lisa is struggling with a lot. After the entire world was struck by a virus- killing everyone over the age of 13- she is alone, surviving with her younger brother. She does this very well. Right away, she takes action. While other kids clear the stores off all the candy and sugary-drinks, she takes the canned food and non-perishable items. She grabs medical supplies and water. She searches the homes further out, isolated, and targets the warehouses. 

When violent gangs start becoming a major threat, she rallies together the kids on her block. As a group, they carve out their own safe place in this new, ruined world.

My favorite part of this graphic novels were the graphics themselves. Very vibrant and detailed, yet still keeping a cartoon-ish feel. I really want to check out more from this artist!

Overall, this was a great graphic novel! I just hope the story it is based on lives up to it.

Quotes:

"Nothing makes stealing okay."

Pages:

To come!


On My Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/719829205

No comments:

Post a Comment