Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Author: Michelle Hodkin

Book #: 1st of Trilogy



Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Publish Date: October 23rd 2012

Pages: 452

Format: Paperback


Date Read (Throwback): September 29th  2012

Rating
 / out of 5


“You always have a choice.”

Summary:

Mara Dyer wakes up one morning in the last place anyone wants to be without knowing how they got there: The hospital. They tell her she was the only one who survived. That she should be lucky, thankful even, that she is alive.

While the guilt of losing her best-friend in an accident that she miraculously got out of with her life, she is being terrorized by ghosts that haunt her from her past. To try to get away from the burden of what happened that night, her family decides to move her as far away as they can. Mara starts the school year at a new school and, with her family right behind her supporting her every step of the way, she plans to put all that happened behind her.

Mara hopes she is ready to find out the answers. Her life, and those of who she loves, could be at stake.

Review:

really loved this book. Once I started getting into it and realized that the events unfolding could possibly be due to paranormal activity, I almost stopped reading. If I get freaked out watching scary ghost movies, I get terrified reading about it! Don't ask me why because I do not know. I read another book a few weeks ago, or rather I skimmed through it because it was paranormal. Even skimming through it gave me goosebumps! 

Michelle Hodkin really gets it. She got it right where others failed. People should court, before they get into a relationship. I said this is one of my other reviews that the readers need to see the spark between two characters. And not just that, we also need to see how their relationship develops and grows.

In this case, it was done beautifully. Though I am sure that Mara and Noah did have some strange connection feelings about each other when they first met, he still took her on dates and spent time with her before they started really getting into a relationship. I have read books where the characters meet once or twice (in some cases without even talking), and then the next day they are confessing their love for one another. I loved the transition between the two that occurred in this book. I thought it was executed wonderfully. 

(On page 428 I found one grammatical error)

Overall, I think that this book should be read, no matter what you read in a review. If you don't like it, then okay. But I think if you find yourself liking it, you will fall in love with this series.


On My Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/416436217

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Glad you liked it! Whenever I get a chance, I think I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete