Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sailor Moon, Vol. 2 by Naoko Takeuchi


Title: Sailor Moon, Vol. 2

Author: Naoko Takeuchi

Book #: 2nd of Series



Publisher: Kodansha Comics


Publish Date: November 15th 2011

Pages: 244

Format: Paperback


Date Read: October 14th 2013

Rating
  / out of 5


 
Summary:

The mysterious Tuxedo Mask has revealed his identity, forcing Usagi to come to terms with her growing affections for the masked vigilante, all the while defending the people of Earth from renewed attacks by the sinister “enemy”. Everything threatens to overwhelm even Sailor Moon when suddenly a new Sailor Guardian appears. Could this new Guardian be the Moon Princess the Sailor Guardians are sworn to protect?
(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)

Review:

While I can't see this series becoming my all time favorite, there are aspects of it that I really enjoy.

__________

I think the battle theme between good and evil is something that I can really see myself becoming attached to. It is a theme that I find very interesting if done right. In this second installment, we learn a little bit more about who (or what) the Sailor Moon guardians are fighting. We also get a glimpse into the history of the guardians, and I found this insight to be very helpful, as well as intriguing.

The reason I liked this more than the first, though, was because there was a bit more suspense. I kind of saw the twist (view spoiler) coming, but I kept doubting myself. It wasn't until it was actually revealed that I felt very satisfied with both myself for assuming it, and with the author for not making it as obvious. 

Still, though, thee story is very repetitive and not as complicated as I would like. I hope it gets more so, though, as the series continues. I want to see more twists and conflicts. 

The characters, also, aren't really my favorite. They provide some light humor, but they are pretty atypical characters, nothing overly remember-able about them.

Overall, I will be continuing this series because I find it interesting. I also think this is a good place to start for beginners to reading Manga.


On My Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/740811973

No comments:

Post a Comment