Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Try Not to Breathe by Jennifer R. Hubbard


Title: Try Not to Breathe

Author: Jennifer R. Hubbard

Book #: Standalone



Publisher: Viking Juvenile


Publish Date: January 19th 2012

Pages: 272

Format: Hardcover


Date Read (Throwback)October 18th 2012

Rating
  / out of 5


Sometimes, almost getting what you want is worse than never coming close.

Summary:

Ryan spends most of his time alone at the local waterfall because it’s the only thing that makes him feel alive. He’s sixteen, post-suicidal, and trying to figure out what to do with himself after a stint in a mental hospital. Then Nicki barges into his world, brimming with life and energy, and asking questions about Ryan’s depression that no one else has ever been brave enough—or cared enough—to ask. Ryan isn’t sure why he trusts Nicki with his darkest secrets, but that trust turns out to be the catalyst that he desperately needs to start living again. 
(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)

Review:

I loved this book. I usually don't read books from a male's perspective mainly because.. well, I am female and we tend to have different perspectives on certain situations. However, I felt myself form an attachment to the narrator.

Not only was the story moving, it was realistic. I am so glad that I read this book, and now I only wish that it could have been longer. Besides this, I don't really know what else to say that could possible explain my gratitude towards this writer for creating such a novel. 

One more thing I will say is that I laughed many times while reading this. Ryan is so sarcastic! I loved it. 

The hands down, funniest moment in this book was on page 86, when Ryan was telling us how Val used to paint a lot of abstract portraits of himself and Jake, while at Patterson. He stated that, when had seen his, he said "I think of myself more as a green triangle."

I laughed, so hard.

Overall, this book should be on everyone's to-read list! And if it isn't... It should be! 



Or else.


On My Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/429559050

No comments:

Post a Comment